Replace a file without changing the url

Hi. I have a short manual as pdf which I provide for download to site users, with the url on a printed sheet as a QR code. I have uploaded it in the files section. Sometimes I change the pdf and want to just replace it, but I can’t find a functionality to do so. I can upload the new one, but the url will change and the QR code isn’t valid any longer.
Can someone please tell me, how I can replace a file with another one without changing the url ?
TIA. Peter

1 Like

I’m not sure about maintaining the CDN URL, but what I might do to avoid this for now is host the file on a specific page. Link the QR code to that page, and then no matter the file URL, the QR code maintains a solid link to the asset (just adding one more “click to download” step for the user)

Not a perfect solution but something I’ve been doing to work around it.

Maybe I’m missing something obvious… @Martin might correct me :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I would agree to your solution here, Zachary. This is how I solve this myself.

1 Like

Thanks for your replies. I have now created a page with the manual itself, so users would go to that page and immediately see the instructions and I can change it there if neccessary.
No big deal, just didn’t think of it before :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

I have another idea, use an URL-Shortner like rebrandly.com and send only the QR-Code / URL of this shorted link. Within rebrandly you change the long url later on but the QR code will still work.

Maybe another workaround for you.

Ulf

4 Likes

That is also a great workaround! With this, you are also able to track the clicks!

1 Like

Yeah I like that better! :smiley:

1 Like