Option to put published website offline (temporarily)?

I client of mine wants to create curiosity (regarding her new website) on social media.
Unfortunately she came across this idea AFTER we set her website on “published”.

Her idea is that the website is offline and can not be found by Google search (Google is not the problem because obviously it is not indexed yet).

I wonder if this could be solved by putting the project on “only e-mail” again instead of “published”?
And to set it on published again as soon as she is ready to launch officially.

Could this work or does this procedure cause extra costs / trouble?

Hey @Barbara_Bichler - you are able to set the website to Email only. There will be no extra costs and no prorated credits that way. On the other hand - create a landing page / coming-soon and hide the new page would be a better solution, because it might look more professional.

For SEO reason, I think it might make sense to index the website and make it visible as fast as possible.

Thanks for your information that to put it on “only e-mail” would work.

Your hint with the “coming soon” page is absolutely right.
But my client has this idea now, after publishing the website.
I offered her the solution with “coming soon” but also told her that I will charge this (because this idea comes all of a sudden - and it is not her first idea like this - you know what I mean :wink: )
She does NOT want it to be found via Google search at the moment.
So the SEO point is fine.

2 Likes

Hey Barbara, I feel you! :slight_smile:

Well, if she does not do anything with the website, like promoting etc. and does not index it how would anybody find this website at all? :smiley: Unless she has THE greatest domain name ever that people look for actively, like www.kekse.de :grin:

1 Like

She wants to create curiosity by posting a few days long on Social Media “oooh, my website is going online soon” - like famous online marketers do when relaunching their website (for example).
And then on day X the website is online. Tadaaa! You know?

As a newbee on the market this makes no sense in my opinion - but anyhow.

We will see!

Thanks for your support, André!

1 Like

I feel you. And I do agree. But hey, no worries. Soon, it will be published and on to the next one😁

Could this be also a way for customers who didn`t pay or those that are longer in arrears? Before deleting the side completely.

2 Likes

I think this depends on your contract with the client. Usually I would say NO.
I personally don’t put the website online until I was fully paid.
Or do you mean the client did not pay the hosting fee?

1 Like

Hey Ulf, it all depends on how you work with your clients.

Just to make the process clear:

• A domain will not be deleted, when you unpublish the website.

• The website will not be deleted, when you unpublish it.

Therefore, if you like to put pressure on your client, because there are open payments, just “unpublish” the website.

In the end, you never have to delete a website, as unpublished websites do not cost anything. That means, you could use the website later for another “project”, if you like.

When you delete a domain, it is deleted “for good” and will be unregistered. But, as I do it myself in these cases, I wait until the last day to delete it or resell it, when I am the owner.

2 Likes

Hi, yes it is just to put pressure. Thanks for the answer, now it is clear for me

1 Like

No it is already paid and published the first year. I invoice every year the hosting costs. Domain and Server. And when there is a huge delay in payment I want to take the side offliine, until it is paid.

2 Likes

If your client is owner of the website (and I think that’s the case usually) I assume you can not put it offline legally. Depends on your agreement with the client.
That’s why I would prefer to let the client have his own Sitejet account so that I am not responsible for charging this.

1 Like

Kein Geld, keine Leistung :slight_smile: But you can earn more money for hosting, if you control the accounts.

Wenn du die Website verkauft hast, gehört sie dem Kunden.
Meiner Meinung nach ist es nicht rechtmäßig, dass du sie offfline nimmst, weil Hosting nicht bezahlt wird. Aber ich bin kein Rechtsanwalt.

Ich persönlich möchte kein Geld durch den Verkauf von Hosting verdienen. Erstens weil sich die Kunden bei Problemen dann auch an mich wenden und zweitens, weil es Verwaltungsaufwand (für im Verhältnis “Kleckerli-Beträge”) mit sich bringt.
Allerdings handhabe ich es tatsächlich im Moment auch noch so, weil Kunden, die selbst ein Sitejet Account anlegen, wo dann die Website gehostet wird, auch eine Agentur-Oberfläche bekommen. Das finde ich sehr ungut.

Das stimmt vielleicht, aber ich berechne auch Änderungen an der Seite und biete Service-Verträge an. Das wäre schwierig bei Seiten, die der Kunde selber betreut. Ich habe aber wahrscheinlich auch ein anderes Klientel. Und bezüglich der Oberfläche ist mir das White Labeling schon sehr wichtig. ich verkaufe weniger Webseiten, als lieber den Service drumherum. Das sehen mein Kunden gern, wenn ich auf Zuruf Änderungen umsetze. Sie bezahlen den Service auch gern. Die Probleme haben sich bisher auch in grenzen gehalten, was die Technik angeht. Da mal ein Lob an Sitejet :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Juhu, danke dir!

1 Like

I would recommend to implement this procedure clearly in the contract. And it would be a smart idea to agree the due date of renewal fees 30 days before ending of the paid period…This would give time for you to send a reminder with reasionable deadline to pay and to anounce the website going offline in case of no payment before deadline.

1 Like