Invalid DNS records

Hello everyone, it is not clear to me how to set my own domain for the partner portal.

Getting this error: This domain cannot be used, because of invalid DNS records. Please check the records, try again later or keep the domain empty

With the white label settings should I enter partner.matthijsontwerpt.nl or matthijsontwerpt.nl?

My domein is registerd with sitejet. See the screenshot with my settings, perhaps I doing something. wrong. Thank you for reading.

2 Likes

Hi @Matthijs_Sloos,

please add * as name to your CNAME Record and let me know if it is working. Could take a couple of minutes, but partner.matthijsontwerpt.nl and my.matthijsontwerpt.nl should be accessible afterwards, if you set up matthijsontwerpt.nl as domain for your white labeling.

1 Like

Hi Martin, still getting the same error.

Thank you for responding.

1 Like

Hey @Matthijs_Sloos,

changes in the DNS settings can take up to 24 hours. I just checked http://partner.matthijsontwerpt.nl/ and it’s up and running! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Great, thank you very much for checking , Franzi :raised_hands:

note: SSL does not work at the moment, that takes some time, I ticked the ssl mark with domains, that is on.?

2 Likes

Yes, it can take up to 24 hours for an SSL certificate to be active. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I waited for 3 days but the ssl certificate is still not active.

1 Like

Hey @Matthijs_Sloos,

I forwarded this to our tech team. I will get back to you asap!

1 Like

Not happy the way this is going, much to slow, i moved my domain back, the email and domain side off sitejet are for me not a good as advertised. Taking up lot of time. Since it is LTD I nothing is lost. Will check back in a few months. Thank you for supporting. Kind regards Matthijs

1 Like

Hi @Matthijs_Sloos

I am sorry that you had to take this step, but just let me clarify how SSL works with Sitejet, no matter if it’s for the whitelabel domain or a website domain:

• Sitejet is only able to issue new SSL certificates once DNS records are set up correctly and propagated around the world. DNS is a decentralized system, so depending on the TTL values (which can be thought of as cache expiration time) it can take a different amount of time once this is done. As much as we’d love to increase the speed for this, it’s outside of our influence. Most records don’t exceed TTL values of 24 hours, that’s why we usually tell our users to wait at least this period.
  • Sitejet is issuing new SSL certificates every hour, so in an ideal world with low TTL values, you would have your SSL protection within hours or even minutes.
  • To accelerate the migration process, TTL values could be reduced a few days in advance to the migration day.

So my guess is that either the DNS setup was incomplete or it was interfering with existing records. It’s crucial to add a wildcard CNAME record as described in the Whitelabel article for the whole whitelabel setup to run properly, otherwise it’s not only the SSL certification that can’t be done, but you might also run into other technical issues that we want to avoid at all costs.

2 Likes

Hi Malte,

On the DNS side I did everything correct, the flag mark was green, implies that DNS setting are oké. Also the wildcard *. The propagation a check with: https://dnschecker.org. That was also fine within hours. After that as a customer I do not care about the technical side of things.

My advice to you is, do not take the tech-stuff as an excuse, but make things work, it annoys me.

With Duda I activate SSL within hours why can’t Sitejet? They never failed me in this regard.

1 Like

Hi @Matthijs_Sloos

there’s a difference between DNS/SSL for a published website and DNS/SSL for your whitelabel domain. The domain manager “only” validates the DNS setup for a website to be published as this is its primary purpose. It’s not necessary to add a domain to a website’s domain manager to be used as a whitelabel domain, but the same domain name can be used for both.

Note that for domains registered through a third party provider, we have to rely on proper external DNS setup, as we have no control over it. Also consider to transfer the domain to Sitejet, so we can make sure that DNS it set up correctly and everything works as intended.

3 Likes