Language change in multilingual collections

When I use the language element in multilingual collections, it is not possible to switch between languages while being on a collection entry. Instead you end up on a 404 page.
I find it very important that the language element can be used carefree across all pages.
So I ask you to optimize the language element for the new possibilities of multilingual collections.

2 Likes

Hi Patrick,

I also noticed that. But how can you match the corresponding item of the other language? It depends on how the language is implemented in the structure. So for example I have now 1 collection with a choice field ‘language’. In the list page I can filter on that field to show only the items with that language. But what if you have a collection per language. So depending on the used collection structure the language switch should act differently. Maybe adding an extra option in the collection item with ‘corresponding item’ per language would help. But in that case you need to re-define the collection list structure. Is a collection list multilanguage? In that case you would get 2 collection items or more, based on the amount of languages or something like that.

2 Likes

Hi Arthur

Thanks for your answer.

In my case, i have entered the German and the English text in the same collection. Only this way it is possible to fill the translated entry page with the corresponding English text. In my opinion it should be possible to find the entry page of the other language via the language element. These are linked to each other, like all other translated pages.

Another problem I see is that there should be a separate slug for each language. But this is not possible at the moment. In my specific case, this is not a problem because the title/slug remains the same in both languages.

I very much welcome that Collections are now multilingual possible. But at the moment there are still some things that are not solved optimally.

1 Like

Hi Patrick, yes there are already some options with some workarounds. The seperate slug issue I also ran into. In my case I have a product name that is the same for all languages. But as a workaround I now use the name + product type: Pinto bathtub (english) and Pinto ligbad (dutch) so the name is unique and also the slug.

I’m thinking as a second workaround to put some javascript into the ‘single item template page’ so if the user changes the language, it will be redirected to the corresponding page where the ‘list items’ are shown. So for example if the user is in the single item page with Pinto bathtub and clicks on language ‘dutch’ it will be redirected to the dutch page that show all the bathtubs. It is not the most pretty solution but for the time being it is the offer I have to make. It is better than a 404 imho.

Furthermore I’m aware the issues are not solvable in one day so let’s hope the second part of collection improvements will solve some of the issues.

2 Likes

Thank you, @Patrick_Luescher for this suggestion.

For everyone who wants to support this feature, please comment here with a +1 and let us know if you also have some ideas regarding this topic.

1 Like

+1 … in the meanwhile i added a display none in the collection-item-page:

#lang { display:none; }
2 Likes

+1 Please, it’s very difficult to manage multilingual sites without this

2 Likes