Force redirect to non-www

is there a way to force non-www so when user enters www.campaign.engineer it’s automatically redirected to https://campaign.engineer

1 Like

a must have feature +1

3 Likes

Any updates on this?

2 Likes

+1
I agree, it would be great to let us decide per site, whether we use the www subdomain or not.

Personally, I would have chosen to avoid adding the www to the main domain.
Check Why You Should Drop WWW.

1 Like

Hi! From what I’ve seen, when a user types the domain name without the www he is automatically redirected to the proper URL (with www), so they don’t actually need to type the www (+ all browsers automatically mask the www anyway).

I know Sitejet already answered that it’s not possible to have a domain without the www, read more about this here:

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thank you @Lucian_Dinu - that is correct. This is not possible and there is currently no plan to change the whole infrastructure for this feature. But you are still able to vote and discuss.

When something will change and this gets picked up for our roadmap, I am happy to communicate this here as well.

The most unnecessary thing to have in the URL is “www” for most TLD’s now a days, no idea what rocket science is behind this to remove this feature … i also use Brizy with same infrastructure but by hosting Brizy website on Vercel it’s a matter of 1 click and boom … no more “www” even though it’s a must have by developer … example here

It is an infrastructure question. When we started Sitejet, we decided to go that way. :pray: No rocket science behind it but very advanced IT infrastructure and server knowledge necessary :slight_smile:

Any update on this feature? come on guys … this shouldn’t be hard to do

I actually did answer this before :slight_smile:

Hi, Any updates on this? Maybe add an entry to the .htaccess file?

Just like to point you to two posts in this thread :slight_smile:

Hi, @Andre kind of you to follow up with those links.

I read those, but it doesn’t resolve the core problem. Perhaps more context would help.

www and non-www are different variants of a domain. See here and here

If I transfer abc.com from elsewhere to Sitejet, all the pages will become www.abc.com.

It would then lose all SEO authority because the URLs don’t correspond with what is in the Google Index.

We could apply 301s to reduce some damage, but long-term SEO loss will still occur.

Because of this, someone could unwittingly destroy their SEO rankings by moving to Sitejet. This reason alone should be enough for you to prioritise giving us a choice on the domain variant.

“WWW” is outdated, and in this day and age, where we have to optimise and work with character limits in marketing, you’re forcing us to use a redundant approach.

Please work on this.

1 Like

Hey @Naz_Haque

Thank you for your take on this. Let me just say up front that we will, of course, treat and look at this as a feature request, just like all other requests. In this case, that also means that we include the voices of the users. So, the more vote, it will put more pressure on us :slight_smile:

I full understand the marketing aspect behind it! I would still not say that “www” is “outdated”. But I guess that is something up to the perspective of each one. But it is interesting to read in the article the take from Google on this:

We will consider this, when we will discuss it in the next product meeting about feature requests.

However, the links you have posted kind of contradicts to what you are saying when it comes to SEO authority.

You do not just loose SEO authority when you change the URL. If you set up the redirects correctly, this will simply not happen. It is simply not true that this will be a long-term SEO loss.

Whether the effect is good or bad depends on when, where, and how you redirect. I think the articles do make it clear as well. Please bear in mind, that Sitejet also does automatic redirects. Type in sitejet.io and you will be redirected to www.sitejet.io :slight_smile:

However, it is getting difficult of course, when you have both versions e.g. as the first article states.
When you move a domain to Sitejet, you can of course harm your SEO ranking, if you are not able or willing to work properly in the background.

In conclusion, I absolutely understand what you want and what is important to you and a few users here. And I assure you that I will take that into the meeting, and we will definitely discuss it. I personally like your argumentation and long-term view, and the arguments definitely help a lot to make a decision here. The articles are excellently researched!

Hope that is understandable? Thank you already for your input!

1 Like

Hey Andre,

I really appreciate your support and responses. Thanks for taking the time.

301s do not pass 100% of the link equity, read more

This is why in the scenario where you have to move from abc.com to www.abc.com (the default with Sitejet), there will be some long-term SEO loss, even with us applying 301s.

So the reality is yes, sitejet’s current setup will be detrimental to the SEO presence of websites moving from a non-www domain.

BTW, is there a leaderboard/Trello-board or some form of consolidated view to see all the feature requests for us to vote on easily?

Thank you.

Hey @Naz_Haque - we do not have an open roadmap. You can basically upvote each feature request you like here in the community. If you add +1 as a comment, we also see it immediately and add your voice :slight_smile:

You input here helps a lot. Will add all this to the dev ticket.

+1 thanks andre

1 Like

+1 for this … please please we don’t need “www” in URL … so get rid of this SJ team.

1 Like

@Andre please could you an update the status on this?

Hey @Naz_Haque this feature is currently on hold and I will bring it up in the next product meeting again to discuss.