DNS Issues Solved

Hey there everyone! I had posted a DNS issue on this thread and then when I solved it I took it down and then was reminded that that doesn’t actually help anyone else (which is the whole point of this community right?)

So I am reposting this in hopes that it will be helpful.

I had an issue where I had updated the A records for a website but the site was not directed to the new SiteJet website. What added to my confusion was that SJ was saying there was an error but it was giving me the correct A records. See the first screen shot.

After meeting with GoDaddy on this one, we found a sneaky CNAME record that was causing a redirect back to their old site and I didn’t realize it. It is the CNAME with the: www.

I don’t claim to be a DNS expert but with a little coaching, I figured it out and updated that CNAME record to point to the regular A record with the @ sign. Then things started happening and the site redirected to the new site within a few hours.

All is well now.

I still hate DNS issues but I know something I didn’t know yesterday.

5 Likes

Hey @David_McArdle,

thanks so much for sharing this! :star_struck: That’s exactly what the community is for :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Thanks for the case study write up!!

1 Like

Thank you very much, @David_McArdle :raised_hands: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

So, I am having the same issue again with another site. Can anyone help me identify a potential DNS record that is preventing my new site from launching?

1 Like

Hey @David_McArdle,

thanks for reaching out! As far as I can see the website is online and available. Seems like the error message doesn’t quite fit here. I will forward this to our tech team!

Sorry for the confusion!

Best,
Franzi

1 Like

Website looks fine for me too :slight_smile:

Thanks team! I was just thrown off b/c on my Domain Manager it said that there was an error and the Registration Failed. We are all good though!

1 Like