Real-world usecases for the Collections API

Hi everyone! I’m brand new to Sitejet. Can anyone tell me about any example real-world usecases for the Collections API? Trying to wrap my head around that to see if it’s something I could possibly need access to at some point.

Thanks!

Anyone??? A little help please.

not sure avout api calls here in the data collection. generally speaking you can use api calls to query data and pull that data into another application. that said if you needed to pull (or push) data from say…. airtable or google sheets form (or anything else) to populate some sort of data then you could use for that. is there a specific use case you are thinking about?

Specific usecase examples is what I’m asking about. How are you fellow Sitejetters using the API? I’m trying to decide if I need to upgrade to get access to the API. Having an idea of what some others are using it for in the real world would help me make that decision.

@Andre hey can you help me out here?Honestly I was hoping to poll the community and get responses from others with real world uses cases, but this community doesn’t seem to have any answers. Not very lively here I guess.

1 Like

Hi Steve!
I guess most of the users here, have not created advanced websites to use the Collection API.
In general, as mentioned by John, the Collection API offers a bidirectional way to communicate with external apps/websites (basically it is a Rest API access endpoint to collections).
As for specific examples, here are a few:

• Fontend submissions - if you want to allow users (visitors) to post data inside 1/multiple collections - this was a bit discussed here
  • The Template Gallery from SiteJet - it looks that they are using the API here… but, the idea here is simple you can use the Collection API to show the data on other websites
  • Syncing collection data - in general you can sync data with external apps/websites - as a simple example lets say you have a product stock counter and at each sale you want to decrease the counter
  • Custom Import/Export mechanism - right now you can only use CVS files to import or export data from collections … if you need JSON/XML … you can create a script and use the api

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

That was very helpful! Thank you!

4 Likes

Hi Guys,
I’m trying to decide do I need Team or Agency plan (currently Team).
I want to connect an Airtable base to a site and am wondering do I need the Collections API for that (which is only available on the Agency plan)?

Appreciate your help! :pray:
Jan

1 Like

Wasnt aware that the api was only on the agency plan. i will have to look into this as well

It’s confusing (imo)

The plans shows that

• the “Collections API” is only available for Agency plans (visible in overview)
  • “UPCOMING API Access” is available for Teams and Agency plans (visible in detailed view)

I cannot get a clear answer as to with the “UPCOMING API Access” be able to do do all that I want with Airtable and other integrations.

Hi @Jannetje @John_McConnell ,

The Collection API it is basically a Rest API access to collections. The collections are what powers the dynamic content inside a SiteJet website (similar with custom post types in WP).
The Collection API (see the API endpoints documentation here) is available in Agency Plan only.

If you want to import items from an Airtable base, there are multiple ways to handle this:

1. Export a CVS from Airtable and import that CVS in the collection, using the Import option (depending on what you need to achieve you might need to make additional changes to your CSV to match SiteJet expected format for some fields - see a discussion here)
  2. Use the Collection API and write a script to import your data

The “UPCOMING API Access” that you’ve mentioned is related to the Project Management feature of SiteJet (that part where you manage websites, tickets) and is available in the Team and Agency plans.
Here, they already released the Webhooks part. Basically this API allows you to connect the Project Management feature to 3rd party tools. For instance, there were some discussions on billing clients (and generate invoices)

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Do we need an Agency Plan for the Project Management “UPCOMING API Access”?

Hi Steve,
The Project Management API (aka “UPCOMING API Access”) is available in the Team and Agency plans.
If you have the Team plan you should already see the Webhooks section in the Account → Settings → Webhooks

1 Like

Thanks @Lucian_Dinu , really helpful!
Then I will need to upgrade to Agency (Tier 4) as I would like to ensure I have access to the Rest API. I would like to do this before the appsumo deal is finished. It’s basically and additional $100 as far as I can tell. How do I go about this please?

2 Likes

Hi! On Appsumo. You can go to “My products”. Next to your Sitejet purchase, you can open a dropdown menu and select “Change Plan” → Press “Change Plan”. Once you did that it will open a popup and show you your current plan and you can select the plan you want to upgrade, the prices will display only the difference you need to pay from your current plan.

OK I caught case of the FOMO’s and just upgraded to the Agency Tier! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: What next? Is it automatic in SiteJet or do I need to something more to make it official?

1 Like

You should get an invoice from SiteJet (with the plan /tier name and 0 amount) on email. Also, on your SiteJet Account → Billing you should see on what (new) plan/tier you are.

2 Likes

That’s great, and now done. Thanks @Lucian_Dinu

2 Likes