Data privacy / Datenschutzerklärung

I wonder (and clients ask me) why things appear in the data privacy code that are not used on the website. And if this is a problem on the legal side. Has anybody information about this? Sitejet?

For example:
Newsletter (wenn Sie den auf der Website angebotenen Newsletter beziehen möchten) - although there is no newsletter optin implemented.

Or Datenübermittlung bei Vertragsschluss für Online-Shops, Händler und Warenversand - although there is no Shop included

Or Datenübermittlung bei Vertragsschluss für Dienstleistungen und digitale Inhalte although there are no orders created on the website.

EN :uk: :
I guess it covers all the functions of Sitejet that are possible with the software. Even if they are not used. You have to take care as a creator in the meantime also about the DSGVO / GDPR (Unfortunately) It is probably safest to use a privacy generator, which queries the functions of the page and then provides an appropriate page (or html code). Unfortunately not always free… if you do not want advertising…

DE :de: :
Ich denke mal, es werden alle Funktionen von Sitejet abgedeckt, die mit der Software möglich sind. Auch wenn sie nicht genutzt werden. Man muss sich als Ersteller mittlerweile auch um die DSGVO kümmern (Leider) Am sichersten ist es wohl einen Datenschutz Generator zu nutzen, der die Funktionen der Seite abfragt und dann eine entsprechende Seite (oder html code) bereitstellt. Leider nicht immer kostenlos… wenn man keine Werbung will…

Dear Barbara,
Dear Uwe,

ultimately SiteJet itself has to comment on your question.

My state of knowledge is the following:
You can’t change anything even in the privacy policy (privacy) provided by SiteJet, because SiteJet guarantees that the automatically generated privacy policy covers all requirements of the website and is also customized to the site. As required by the DSVGO / GDPR.

After all, according to this information, it would not be necessary to employ an external company to provide a data treasure statement.

Especially if the site changes over time, SiteJet’s own privacy policy would always be up to date.

For me, this feature is a great thing that is part of the service package of the SiteJet system and an advantage over other CMS.

As far as Barbara’s passages are concerned, I can only assume that you might be using
elements like a NewsLetterbox or the store temporarily placed.

There are also templates where these are already included and that the privacy policy therefore contains this passages and perhaps even if these elements were deleted again, still contains.

In any case, it should not be so that indiscriminately everything that is possible is also mentioned in the privacy policy, as suspected by Uwe.

Greetings
Frank

Liebe Barbara,
LIeber Uwe,

letztendlich muss SiteJet selbst zu deiner Frage Stellung nehmen.

Mein Kenntnisstand ist der Folgende:
Man kann selbst in der Datenschutzerklärung (privacy) die von SiteJet bereitgestellt wird nichts ändern, weil SiteJet garantiert, dass die automatisch generierte Datenschutzbestimmung alle Erfordernisse der Webseite abdeckt und auch individuell an die Seite angepasst ist. So wie es der DSVGO fordert.

Nach dieser Information wäre es nämlich nicht nötig ein externes Unternehmen damit zu beschäftigen eine Datenschatzerklärung zu liefern.

Vor allem wenn sich die Seite im Laufe der Zeit verändert, wäre die SiteJet-eigene Datenschutzerklärung immer aktuell.

Für mich ist dieses Feature eine tolle Sache die eben zum Service-Paket des SiteJet Systems gehört und einen Vorteil zu anderen CMS darstellt.

Was Barbaras Passagen angeht, so kann ich nur vermuten, dass du vielleicht
Elemente wie eine NewsLetterbox oder den Shop Zeitweise platziert hattest.

Es gibt auch Templates wo diese bereits enthalten sind und das die Datenschutzerklärung deshalb dieses Passagen enthält und vielleicht selbst wenn diese Elemente wieder gelöscht wurden, noch enthält.

In jedem Fall sollte es nicht so sein, das wahllos alles was möglich ist auch in der Datenschutzerklärung genannt wird, so wie von Uwe vermutet.

Gruß
Frank

2 Likes

Who is Uwe? :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Thanks for the answer and happy new year

Wer ist Uwe? :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

Danke für die Antwort und ein frohes neues Jahr

Hello Frank,
I am completely with you.

I also find the feature super awesome, if you save the extra work with third-party generators. And I also remembered that Sitejet keeps the privacy policy up to date, so you are on the safe side.
But now I am surprised that there are some passages in it that are not used at all. I think I remember that this feature was explained to me at the very beginning so that the passages change according to the use. So e.g. contact form in, passage included, contact form out, corresponding passage automatically removed as well.

The site definitely did not have a store or newsletter.
And I am now very skeptical whether you should use this privacy policy so, if everything possible is included, which does not apply at all. With the DSGVO / GDPR is not to be joked about and I as a service provider would like to build in the customer nothing, with which there is trouble later.

I’ve also just tried it again with a very fresh template.
Also there - as far as I can see, no store or newsletter integrated, but the relevant passages in the privacy policy.

I really hope that someone from Sitejet support will get back to me on this issue.

Many greetings
Barbara

Hallo Frank,
ich bin da ganz bei Dir.

Ich finde das Feature auch super genial, wenn man sich damit die zusätzliche Arbeit mit fremden Generatoren spart. Und ich hatte es auch so in Erinnerung, dass Sitejet die Datenschutzerklärung aktuell hält, sodass man damit auf der sicheren Seite ist.
Nun wundere ich mich aber doch, dass einige Passagen drin sind, die gar nicht genutzt werden. Ich meine nämlich mich zu erinnern, dass man mir dieses Feature ganz am Anfang so erklärt hat, dass sich die Passagen entsprechend der Verwendung ändern. Also z.B. Kontaktformular drin, Passage enthalten, Kontaktformular raus, entsprechende Passage automatisch auch entfernt.

Die Seite hatte definitiv keinen Shop oder Newsletter.
Und ich bin nun sehr skeptisch, ob man diese Datenschutzerklärung so verwenden sollte, wenn alles mögliche enthalten ist, das gar nicht zutrifft. Mit der DSGVO ist ja nicht zu spaßen und ich als Dienstleisterin möchte den Kunden nix einbauen, womit es nachher Ärger gibt.

Ich hab’s auch gerade nochmal mit einem ganz frischen Template probiert.
Auch da - soweit ich sehen kann, kein Shop oder Newsletter integriert, aber die entsprechenden Passagen in der Datenschutzerklärung.

Ich hoffe sehr, dass sich jemand vom Sitejet-Support noch meldet zu diesem Thema.

Viele Grüße
Barbara

Sorry Ulf … a Freudian slip, there are too many Uwe in my circle of friends. :slight_smile:

Sorry Ulf … eine freudsche Fehlleistung, es gibt zuviele Uwe in meinem Freundeskreis. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello all,
I think, the Privacy Policy generated by Sitejet (using the Privacy element) is just a template (and by default it includes everything), … you don’t have to use it, you can use it as a base and customize it or create your own Privacy Policy using dedicated on-line tools or by seeking legal advice.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

This was the comment by Martin from Sitejet:

“wir hatten einmal evaluiert, ob wir solch einen erweiterten Datenschutz und Cookie Banner nutzen bzw. entwickeln wollen. Es ist aber sehr aufwendig und wartungslastig. Daher haben wir uns dagegen entschieden. Sitejet selbst nutzt einen Drittanbieter Cookie Bot: Online-Tracking, das konform mit DSGVO und ePrivacy ist | Cookiebot. Auch wir überlassen das lieber den Datenschutz-Profis.”

I don’t quite understand what SiteJet means by this “extended cookie bar” that the company is now using for itself.

I understand this a bit as if SiteJet just does not offer an extended privacy text.

However, SiteJet’s FAQ states:

“Zur Unterstützung von Website-Anbietern und -betreibern erstellt Sitejet automatisch eine Datenschutzerklärung unter Berücksichtigung der DSGVO, wenn der Website-Generator verwendet wird. Diese Datenschutzerklärung ist ein standardisiertes Dokument, das zusätzlich an die spezifischen Bedürfnisse und Integrationen deiner Kunden angepasst werden sollte, …”

Quelle: FAQ - Sitejet

During a personal feedback request on this topic, I later received the following statement:

“In dem Moment, wo ihr die Datenschutzerklärung verändern möchtet, entfällt unsere Haftung und wir dürfen da auch keinen Support zu anbieten, da wir keine Rechtsberatung sind.”

From which I deduced: If I do not modify the text and do not bring in external features (use only the website generator), then there is some liability for the text.

Of course, it is important for me as a web designer to know how legally secure this privacy text is, because my customers are often very uncertain and also ignorant in this point.

Or do we all have to switch to these mentioned third party provider now?

Now I am confused and would very much like a clear statement how far I can rely on the module provided by SiteJet.

Hi Frank,
this is is what I thought as well.
My clients are pretty untaught in such internet law things and I want (and need!) to offer reliable services.

As the code of the data privacy element can not be adapted to personal needs in each project, I wonder if I should use it any longer. Or if I should rather create the data privacy text with for example erecht24 generator (which is not convenient) or implement Cookiebot (which visual appearance I do not like to be honest).

Would be interesting how other Sitejetters solve this topic.

It can not be adapted to personal needs in the particular project.
That’s the problem.

How do you work regarding Privacy Policy?

Hi! I personally don’t use the Privacy Policy from Sitejet, I use an external service to generate one https://getterms.io/

If you want to use the Privacy Policy from Sitejet as a base to create your custom version, you can copy + paste the content into a Text Element (using the Preview functionality).

Here is a video (with sound) on how to do it:

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

:us: Hi Sitejetters,

Thank you for your patience and the great input you provide here. We are very happy that you use the community for such topics and support each other.

First of all, we would like to point out these three things:

1. You all probably know that GDPR is a very complex and abstract topic, with frequent adaptations due to new jurisdictions.

2. It is also important to mention that for the most part, we focused on German or European law.

3. The information and features shared and provided by Sitejet do not serve as legal advice. For comprehensive and professional advice on the subject of the GDPR, we recommend contacting a lawyer.

@Barbara about your post: Data privacy / Datenschutzerklärung - #8 by Barbara_Bichler

The answer from the support that you shared here refers to a “Cookie Consent Banner”.

A consent banner asks website visitors for consent to use cookies and other third-party tools when they visit the website. While this is part of GDPR, this specific response does not relate to the privacy policy.

We currently offer a consent banner that blocks all external scripts until consent is given. If consent is not given by the website visitor, those scripts cannot be loaded for that specific website visitor.

If you are looking for a comprehensive consent banner solution that allows visitors to e.g. select cookie categories and tracking tools, there are many excellent external providers such as:

1. Usercentrics
  2. Consent Manager
  3. Cookiebot - this is the solution we are using for our website

These providers are specialized in the topic of the GDPR and can thus focus their resources exclusively on adapting their solution to the constantly changing requirements of GDPR. Often, these providers also map different data protection regulations and even offer a free consent solution.

@Frank on your comment and addressing @Barabar’s initial question:

Sitejet cannot guarantee that the automatically generated privacy policy covers all the requirements of the website. The part that is generated by Sitejet refers to the elements provided within Sitejet. That means an automated adjustment is made in selected areas of the privacy policy, including tools that are explicitly present as elements in Sitejet and thus can be automatically inserted or removed in the privacy policy, e.g. the YouTube element. The same applies to contact forms provided by Sitejet.

If Sitejet - through the use of these elements in your website - recognizes that you are using these tools, the corresponding section in the privacy policy will be generated automatically.

Regarding the newsletter and store sections, we have forwarded this to our tech team and are currently checking whether the text passages are still being inserted variably - as they should - or if something needs to be fixed here.

The integration of external tools, i.e. everything that is not an element in Sitejet or that requires the integration of custom code, as well as the use of other tools that also process data from website visitors but are not used in the website, cannot be inserted automatically by Sitejet. For this purpose, the solutions from the external providers mentioned above would be helpful.

A good example is webhooks that are embedded in forms. In this case, a third-party provider is used (e.g. Zapier) to provide the webhook and forward the data to another third-party provider (e.g. Campaign Monitor for email marketing). Both tools cannot be automatically collected by Sitejet - in this case, Campaign Monitor is not even integrated into the website, nevertheless, data processing takes place, which should be listed in the privacy policy. We hope that this example shows how complex GDPR can become.

In general, the privacy policy provided by Sitejet was created by a lawyer and it is intended to provide standardized guidance without being able to guarantee that the guidance is legally compliant. Since it is a standardized solution, we explicitly advise (e.g. in our FAQs (FAQ - Sitejet)) to adapt it to the customer’s needs.

In reference to this comment by Frank, we would like to add: https://community.sitejet.io/t/data-privacy-datenschutzerklarung/1333/9

We are sorry because it seems that there has been inaccurate communication here. Sitejet cannot be held liable in any case, as Sitejet cannot extract all information about the data processing on a website (see above). In addition, we would like to emphasize Sitejet’s terms and conditions, which state that the responsibility for any content on the website lies with the Sitejet user or customer, i.e. the website owners.

As we already mentioned, the information and features provided by Sitejet do not replace legal advice. We recommend consulting an expert on the subject of GDPR in order to ensure customer-specific legal compliance.

To Lucian’s comment Data privacy / Datenschutzerklärung - #12 by Lucian_Dinu we would like to add that this can be used to customize the existing text in the privacy policy, however when adding this as a text element it is no longer possible to automatically generate or remove sections. If you just want to add tools to the existing privacy policy, we recommend to put a text element below the privacy element.

We hope that this is helpful for you.
The Sitejet Team

:de: Hallo liebe Sitejetter,

Danke für eure Geduld und den tollen Input, den ihr hier bereitstellt. Wir sind sehr glücklich darüber, dass ihr die Community für solche Themen nutzt und euch gegenseitig unterstützt.

Drei Infos vorweg:

1. Wie ihr alle sicher wisst, ist DSGVO ein sehr umfangreiches und abstraktes Thema, bei dem es durch neue Rechtsprechungen häufig zu Anpassungen kommt.

2. Wichtig ist auch zu nennen, dass hier größtenteils das deutsche bzw. Europäische Recht abgedeckt werden soll.

3. Die Informationen und Funktionen, die von uns geteilt und bereitgestellt werden, stellen keine Rechtsberatung dar. Für eine umfangreiche und sachkundige Beratung zum Thema DSGVO raten wir dazu, einen Anwalt zu kontaktieren.

@Barbara zu deinem Post Data privacy / Datenschutzerklärung - #8 by Barbara_Bichler

Die Antwort aus dem Support, die du hier geteilt hat, bezieht sich auf einen “Cookie Consent Banner”.

Hier geht es um die Abfrage der Einwilligung zur Nutzung von Cookies und anderen Drittanbieter-Tools bei Besuch der Website. Das gehört zwar zum Thema Datenschutz, allerdings bezieht sich diese konkrete Antwort nicht auf die Datenschutzerklärung.

Wir bieten aktuell einen Consent Banner an, der alle externen Skripte stoppt, bis eine Einwilligung erteilt wurde. Sollte keine Einwilligung vom Website-Besucher gegeben werden, können diese Skripte für diesen Website-Besucher nicht geladen werden.

Wenn ihr auf der Suche nach einer umfangreichen Cookie Consent Banner Lösung seid, der bspw. eine Auswahl von Cookie-Kategorien und Tracking Tools ermöglicht, gibt es viele gute externe Anbieter wie bspw.:

1. Usercentrics - https://hilfe.sitejet.io/article/926-consent-banner-usercentrics

2. Consent Manager - Consent Banner: ConsentManager - Sitejet Hilfe

3. Cookiebot - diese Lösung verwenden wir auch selber auf unserer Website

Diese Anbieter haben sich auf das Thema DSGVO spezialisiert und können so ihre Ressourcen ausschließlich auf die Anpassung ihrer Lösung an die ständig wechselnden Anforderungen der DSGVO fokussieren. Oftmals bilden diese Anbieter auch unterschiedliche Datenschutzregulationen ab und bieten sogar eine kostenlose Consent Lösung an.

@Frank zu deinem Kommentar und um auf @Barabars Ausgangsfrage einzugehen:

Sitejet kann nicht garantieren, dass die Datenschutzbestimmung, die automatisch generiert wird, alle Erfordernisse der Website abdeckt. Der Teil, der von Sitejet generiert wird, bezieht sich auf die von Sitejet bereitgestellten Elemente. D.h. eine automatisierte Anpassung erfolgt in ausgewählten Bereichen der Datenschutzerklärung, u.a. bei Tools, die explizit als Elemente in Sitejet vorhanden sind und so eingefügt oder entfernt werden können, bspw. das YouTube Element. Gleiches gilt bei von Sitejet bereitgestellten Kontaktformularen.

Wird von Sitejet - durch die Nutzung dieser Elemente in deiner Website - erkannt, dass du diese Tools nutzt, wird der entsprechende Abschnitt in der Datenschutzerklärung automatisch generiert.

Bezüglich der Newsletter- und Shop-Abschnitte haben wir das an unser Tech Team weitergeleitet und prüfen gerade, ob die Passagen weiterhin variabel eingesetzt werden oder ggf. hier etwas behoben werden muss.

Die Einbindung von externen Tools, also alles, was kein Element in Sitejet ist oder die Integration von Custom Code benötigt sowie die Nutzung von anderen Tools, die ebenfalls Daten von Website-Besuchern verarbeiten aber nicht in der Website verwendet werden, kann von Sitejet nicht automatisiert eingefügt werden. Dafür würden sich dann die oben genannten Lösungen eignen.

Ein gutes Beispiel bieten Webhooks, die in Formulare eingebettet werden. In diesem Fall wird ein Drittanbieter genutzt (bspw. Zapier), der den Webhook verwendet und die Daten darüber an einen weiteren Drittanbieter (bspw. Campaign Monitor für E-Mail-Marketing) weiterleitet. Beide Tools können nicht automatisch von Sitejet erfasst werden – in diesem Fall wird Campaign Monitor gar nicht erst in die Website eingebunden, trotzdem findet eine Datenverarbeitung statt, die in der Datenschutzerklärung aufgelistet werden sollte. Allein an diesem Beispiel zeigt sich, wie komplex das Thema werden kann.

Allgemein gilt, dass die von Sitejet bereitgestellte Datenschutzerklärung von einem Anwalt erstellt wurde und sie eine standardisierte Hilfestellung darstellen soll ohne dabei garantieren zu können, dass die Hilfestellung rechtlich in Ordnung ist. Da es sich um eine standardisierte Lösung handelt, raten wir ausdrücklich dazu (bspw. in unseren FAQs (FAQ - Sitejet) , diese den Kundenbedürfnissen anzupassen.

In Bezug auf diesen Kommentar von Frank möchten wir hinzufügen:
https://community.sitejet.io/t/data-privacy-datenschutzerklarung/1333/9
Es tut uns leid, denn es scheint, dass es hier eine fehlerhafte Kommunikation gegeben hat. Eine Haftung kann von Sitejet in keinem Fall übernommen werden, da Sitejet nicht alle Informationen über die Datenverarbeitung auslesen kann (siehe oben). Außerdem möchten wir in diesem Zuge nochmal auf Sitejets AGB hinweisen, die besagen, dass die Verantwortung für jeglichen Content auf der Website bei dem Sitejet-Nutzer oder der Kunden, also den Website-Inhabern, liegt.

Wir möchten noch einmal darauf hinweisen, dass die von Sitejet bereitgestellten Informationen und Funktionen keine Rechtsberatung ersetzen. Wir empfehlen beim Thema Datenschutz die Meinung von einem Experten einzuholen, damit eine kundenspezifische Rechtskonformität sichergestellt werden kann.

Zu Lucians Kommentar Data privacy / Datenschutzerklärung - #12 by Lucian_Dinu möchten wir noch hinzufügen, dass dies möglich ist, um bestehende Texte in der Datenschutzerklärung anzupassen, allerdings beim Reinkopieren als Text kein automatisches Generieren oder Entfernen von Abschnitten mehr möglich ist. Wenn ihr lediglich Tools zu der bestehenden Datenschutzerklärung hinzufügen wollt, empfehlen wir ein Textelement unter das Privacy-Element zu setzen.

Wir hoffen, dass euch das weiterhilft.
Das Sitejet Team

3 Likes

Thank you, Franzi, for this information.

I think, many Sitejetters rely on this data privacy element feature but it is obviously not a secure option. This is important to know.

1 Like

If the European and German market is taken into account here, it would be nice that this circumstance is also taken into account in the contact form - I am thinking of the checkbox for consent to the privacy policy.

2 Likes