Google Fonts & GDPR/DSGVO - use fonts locally

Hi Sitejet Community,

I just want to share something about GDPR/DSGVO and Google Fonts with you that might be very helpful. Especially for the German users here, but it might also be interesting for other users.

I found out that GDPR/DSGVO also affects the implementation of Google Fonts into my website.

In Germany, there was a verdict saying that you either need to get a consent before loading any kind of Google Fonts using the API or store them locally. Some Sitejet templates use an integration of Google Fonts through the Google API, so as web designers I should definitely take action here to avoid any trouble - whether that is storing the font locally or adding a consent banner to my websites and make sure, that third-party cookies from external providers are loaded after the visitor give his consent.

After a research, I’m using Usercentrics now, because they have a free option which is totally fine for me and my clients, but I guess any such solution makes sense.

Just wanted to share this just in case if anyone of you haven’t heard about the verdict (at least in Germany) and I know from a friend that they got an ad hortatory letter about this Google Fonts implementation and I want to prevent to pay any fee, so I guess it is nice to share this with you.

Hope it helps you.

3 Likes

Hello Henry and thank you for your post. Is there a another way, to disconnect anything relating to google-server? I’ve uploaded fonts, but “fonts.googleapis.com” and “fonts.gstatic.com” are still active…

1 Like

Hi @Christian-Felix_Mehner, have you cleared your browser cache?

I have different source files for https://www.fahrschule-fertl.de/ before accepting or declining the consent bar.

@Henry_Polzig thank you for the post! We appreciate it.

1 Like

Hi @Martin, in the new view I didn’t see the possibility to “delete” fonts in the default size of the right panel. In the old view the default panelsize was perfekt. Now both google-sources are gone :raised_hands:

1 Like

@Christian-Felix_Mehner thank you for your feedback, I will forward it.

I would like to recommend this tool to check the website:

And this article seems to be quite good about that topic:

Hey everybody, since this topic is also quite frequent in our support channel, I like to add the help article on how to upload fonts to store them locally with you:. Here we go!

I found another interesting article for our German speaking Sitejetters. Maybe invest the 20 Minutes for it.

Hey Sitejetter, I found a rather funny and concerning article about the current “Abmahnwelle” in Germany. Seems like a poet, who died in 1179 has been subject to warnings.

It definitely makes sense to contact a professional legal support for this matter:

The Google Fonts on websites built with Sitejet are now run through a proxy that removes not only the IP address but also all other identifying headers (language, user agent, referrer, etc.).