Maintain ranking in Google when importing a page created in Wordpress

Hello,

I want to start moving an existing website created in Wordpress of approximately 20 pages.
It is a webpage that markets a SaaS with around 1000 visits/month.
He has a blog whithout ecommerce.

Although It is a little project, it is very important not to lose the SEO work that we have already done.
We want to minimize the chances of damaging the positioning of certain pages.

I have thought about following this order of tasks:

1. Import all pages from WP to SJ
  2. Detail in each page of SJ all the information related to SEO indicated in the existing pages of WP: Title Tag, Meta description, Meta Keywords, …
  3. Save in SJ the page with the existing URL in WP
  4. update domain DNS to SJ’s

Please, anyone could tell me some recommendations to complete the task? (import the data, maintenance of urls, …)

Many thanks

Hi! I’m not an SEO expert… I can only suggest a few things that I’ve noticed based on my experience.

If you want to move a website from one platform to another there are a few things worth mentioning:

• Make sure that you match the existing URLs (if not, make sure that you have redirects in place)
  • Make sure that the content will have the same H1, H2, H3 tags
  • Make sure that you’ve added the Meta, like Title + Description for each page… Meta keywords are no longer used for ranking, you can read more about this here: Meta keywords: why we don't use them - and neither should you • Yoast

In terms of tasks, here are some details:

1. Import all pages from WP to SJ
  • You will still need to rebuild the website (redesign the pages)
  • You can import the existing content using the Import function
  1. Detail in each page of SJ all the information related to SEO indicated in the existing pages of WP: Title Tag, Meta description, Meta Keywords, …
  • Globally can be set from within the CMS Editor: Website → Website settings → SEO/Meta
  • For pages, you can set them from within the CMS Editor: Pages → Settings (icon)
  • For the blog (or Collection in general) these are automatically generated as long as you have the name(or title), description fields… you can read more about this here SEO in Collections - Sitejet Help
  1. Save in SJ the page with the existing URL in WP
  • Yes, if you can match the existing URL… then it’s great
  • For pages this is in the CMS Editor: Pages → Settings (icon)
  • For blog (Collections) this is a combination of item template url + item slug … you can read more here
  1. Update domain DNS to SJ’s
  • Yes, after the new website is done, the last step is to update the DNS records… you can read more about publishing a website on Sitejet here Publish a Website - Sitejet Help

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Thank you for this @Lucian_Dinu - I can second that from my point of view as I am also not a SEO expert.

Interesting though with the Keywords. Did not know that yet!

However, are you sure the new website needs to have the exact H1,H2 etc.?

1 Like

Hi! Related to the H1, H2, H3 tags … I was referring to the hierarchy of content … Just to keep the same content structure … I was not referring to the no. of H1s or H2s or H3s … and to be honest I’m not really sure how each H contributes to the ranking :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot Lucian, I really appreciate :heart_eyes:
I’ll follow your recommendations.

Greetings

2 Likes

Hahahaha! Good one